Monday, March 14, 2011

Meat Curing The Natural Way

For those who are vegetarians, please skip this entry. Sorry.

Inspired by one of the US Deli  featured in Food Network channel, I made my own  version of cured meat. The program showed a step by step process on making a pastrami and it was just mouthwatering. Taking in some tips from the show, I gathered all the spices I can find at home: salt, pepper, basil, rosemary, thyme, cinnamon, sugar, oregano. Bought also some more spices like cayenne pepper, cumin, peppercorn and coriander. I added also vinegar, a natural preservative. The show used I think about 18 spices but they won't reveal everything so I just experimented on some spices. Hope it works.
Got a kilo of kasim (pork shoulder). I'm still trying to figure out the tagalog word for pastrami or what meat part is I used for it so I used kasim (shoulder) for now. Any help on what's the best meat for curing?  

For now, I will have to delight myself in my new experiment. 

Day1 of meet curing (Mar1):

Day 12 (Mar 13):

Five more days to go. I plan to smoke this on Friday and serve this on Saturday, my birthday :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails