Friday, September 27, 2013

Recipe Share: Longganisa and Dinuguan ala Monterey

I used to have a helper that can cook to-die-for Filipino dishes so anytime we crave a pancit bihon or ginataang langka, we just request it from her and wish granted.
When she was still with us, our relatives and in laws would troop to our house every weekend for that taste of ginataang langka (jackfruit with cocunut milk). Some even attempted to pirate her but she remained loyal to us, until she got pregnant and had to leave.
When this helper left, I really felt deprived and realized that I cannot recreate those dishes I used to enjoy on a regular basis. We still communicate,though, so I can ask her for recipes and she said she misses my pastas and cakes naman daw :)

Moving on in life, when I reviewed my Nora Daza and other Pinoy cookbooks, I realized my knowledge of Filipino dish is very limited pala. I can cook tinola, sinigang (which my daughter dubbed as the best sinigang ever :)), a variety of tomato based recipes like pochero, embutido, barbeque/liempo, paksiw (that my in-law loves) and variety of adobo. That's about the Pinoy recipe I can confidently cook. The rest is either Italian, American or Chinese. So, my goal is to learn to cook more Filipino dishes.

I started off with homemade longganisa because one of my goals too this year is for our family to enjoy these breakfast favorites all natural.

Here's my recipe for longganisa (Filipino sausage):


1/2 k lean ground pork
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsps. sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. white vinegar
pepper, season according to taste
lotsa chopped garlic if you want it that way (I used 4 cloves). Some like it sweeter, just add mroe sugar.

Now, I didn't put this in a casing as I'm not sure where to buy a good (clean) one. I tried to form them into rolls and fried them but after while they just disintegrated so I decided to just saute the batch. My husby calls it buhaghag longganisa, haha! But in terms of taste, it's a winner especially if you let the mixture stay in the fridge for 2-3 days before cooking. The ingredients will become BFFs and yield a tastier longganisa.

Now for the Dinuguan (Pork Blood Stew).


Since I'm kinda scared to go all out on this recipe being my first time to cook this, I decided to try the Pork Blood Trio that Monterey meatshop offers. It's a pack that contains marinated pork and 2 packs pork blood. It sort of ready to cook, all you need from your pantry are garlic, onions, vinegar, jalapeno pepper or siling mahaba, water, salt and pepper.

Why Pork Blood Trio, I asked the very accommodating attendants of Monterey (I love their costumer service, really). Well, with the pack you can make 3 different dishes: Dinuguan tagalog-style, Batchoy and Dinuguan Bicol Style. Each pack comes with the how-to guide for each recipe. So convenient, right?
Just follow the step by step guide. 

My take on this recipe? As I've said it's convenient especially for first timers but the taste is okay. It helps that the meat was already marinated but it could use maybe more pork blood. At the last part I had to add more vinegar and salt than what the recipe said to make up for the taste. Each recipe serves 5-7 pax. 


Finish product. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails