Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Progressive School: Moving Up To Greater Heights!


Moving up,  a very apt phrase for what we used to call recognition day or graduation back in the days. 
 
Last March 22, my two wonderful kulitogs moved up from Kinder 2 and Nursery. Oh my, before I know it they’ll be in college already. Time flies, pretty fast.

Sam, irritated by the bow tie and already sleepy but participated from start to finish. So proud of my little boy 
Sophie reciting the Dr. Seuss poem. I didn't behave like a stage mom, as promised. Didn't mouth the words or made crazy gestures
During the moving up activity Sam was awarded Bodily Kinesthetic/Visual Intelligence Active Explorer title. I remember her teacher introduced him as 'everywhere kid'. He roams around the classroom during class discussion so they thought he’s not paying attention but surprisingly can answer all questions when asked. The little princess was awarded the Verbal-Linguistic/Visual-Spatial and Nurturing Child award.
I have posted our journeys in Progressive school setting for years now but really I still get dumb founded by the terms used for special awards.

I shall try to break down each term, maybe it's easier to comprehend that way. 
Kinesthetic relates to sense of touch and physical activity. Kids with kinesthetic intelligence loves jigsaw puzzle and textures. Visual Intelligent kids loves to draw, color and doodle and very good in sports. Verbal-linguistic is someone who is good both in written and verbal expression while visual spatial is someone who is good with, well images, and has good sense of direction.

Whew! Another advantage of the kids going to school is that we parents also learn along the way. Why, during their quiz show I learned what an arboreal animal is (animals who lives in trees). More so, we learn how to be effective parents, just as one parent speaker during the ceremony cited.

The moving up activity was a whole day event for us. We attended Sam’s moving up at 1pm while Sophie’s at 5pm. It was a whole day emotional roller coaster as well - teary-eyed one time, laughing another time and doing both most times. On some parts of the program, I didn’t even bother to hold back the tears. Hubby, just a few minutes after we whisked Sophie to line up for the march, said he thinks he's going to cry with the kids' new milestone. When I looked at him to say something, his eyes were already misty. Such a cry Daddy!

Honestly, the moments were just overwhelming: my little boy performing despite being really sleepy, the awarding ceremonies, my little girl's poem recitation and the K2’s final performance. 
With my graduates at Alex III for dinner. Sam pretended to be asleep. He just has a thing with cameras

To Sophie and Sam, Dad and Mom will forever be proud of you. We will always be here when you need us and we will always support you in your endeavors. Congratulations my dear graduates!

Here's an excerpt from Oh The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss, a poem recited by Sophie during the Moving Up activity. I really suggest you read the whole poem, it's now my favorite.

Oh The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss

I'm afraid that some times
you'll play lonely games too.
Games you can't win
'cause you'll play against you.

All Alone!
Whether you like it or not,
Alone will be something
you'll be quite a lot.

And when you're alone, there's a very good chance
you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants.
There are some, down the road between hither and yon,
that can scare you so much you won't want to go on.

But on you will go
though the weather be foul
On you will go
though your enemies prowl
On you will go
though the Hakken-Kraks howl
Onward up many
a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.

On and on you will hike
and I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems
whatever they are.


2 comments:

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

Ang haba ng poem ah! Bilib na ako sa inaanak ko hahaha Mana sa ninang talaga lol

We really need to see each other. Hmmm more like you really need to visit me at my place. Have something to share with you ; )

xoxo
MrsMartinez

janakidiary said...

haha! Ilang days din na practice yan :)
Oh I'm so excited to see you too. I'll PM you for that meet up :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails