Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sagip Dugtong Buhay Project


' A gift of blood is a gift of life', as it is written at the back of my Red Cross Membership card. 
I was able to experience being a blood donor for the first time this year and it makes me really proud to be one. I carry that blue card with me all the time. I know that in my little way, I have helped those in need. 

So why be a blood donor? First off, according to the Mayo Clinic"Each whole blood donation can help as many as three people. One unit is divided into three parts: red blood cells, platelets, and plasma." Cool right?
Plus, everytime you donate blood, the bone marrow immediately replenish the lost red blood cells so you have fresh new RBCs :) Another benefit is that blood will be there when you need it most. http://benefitof.net/benefits-of-blood-donation/

The screening for blood donors is quite rigorous. The Red Cross doctors and staff will really make sure you are healthy and fit before blood extraction. Here are the steps to donate blood:
1. Register
2. Answer questionnaire
3. Check health status
4. Extract blood
5. Rest and eat some snacks

To be eligible to donate blood (as far as I can remember):
- you have to be just the right weight, at least 110lbs.; underweight is not qualified. 
- your blood pressure must be normal. A slight rise or dip may disqualify you. 
- a blood sample will be extracted to identify your blood type and will run several tests to make sure you are not anemic or sleep deprived. 
- people with colds, allergies are not qualified. 
- have not had a tattoo or body piercing within the past year. 
- pregnant and breastfeeding women cannot donate blood (that's why I was disqualified in the previous years). 
- have not had any dental work within the past 3 days.

yours truly during the bloodletting in February 2011
I felt like a hero after this :)

For those who wish to help through blood donation, GMA Kapuso Foundation and Philippine Red Cross will be holding a bloodletting activity on August 12 in Ever Gotesco, Commonwealth, QC. Let's give the gift of life :)


2 comments:

Cha said...

I want to donate blood too! The dugtong buhay project is also going on in the school where I attended HS. i'll probably go there again to donate. ;)

janakidiary said...

Hi Cha, go na and tell me how it went. Super sarap ng feeling to be of help :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails