- 1279 – A Mongolian victory in the Battle of Yamen ends the Song Dynasty in China.
- 1863 – The SS Georgiana, said to have been the most powerful Confederate cruiser, is destroyed on hermaiden voyage with a cargo of munitions, medicines and merchandise then valued at over $1,000,000.
- 1895 – Auguste and Louis Lumière record their first footage using their newly patented cinematograph.
- 1915 – Pluto is photographed for the first time but is not recognized as a planet.
- 1918 – The U.S. Congress establishes time zones and approves daylight saving time.
- 1931 – Gambling is legalized in Nevada.
- 1932 – The Sydney Harbour Bridge is opened.
- 1944 – World War II: Nazi forces occupy Hungary.
- 1945 – World War II: Adolf Hitler issues his "Nero Decree" ordering all industries, military installations, shops, transportation facilities and communications facilities in Germany to be destroyed.
- 1965 – The wreck of the SS Georgiana, valued at over $50,000,000 and said to have been the most powerful Confederate cruiser, is discovered by then teenage diver and pioneer underwater archaeologist E. Lee Spence, exactly 102 years after its destruction.
- 1979 – The United States House of Representatives begins broadcasting its day-to-day business via the cable television network C-SPAN.
- 2003 – United States President George W. Bush orders the start of war against Iraq.
- 2011 – The moon makes its closest approach to earth by nearly 30,000 miles in the last 18 years, thus dubbing it supermoon.
- Amazing coincidence ang 1863 and 1965 incidents, noh?
- I saw familiar names like Glenn Close and Wyatt Earp on the site.
- me :)
Holidays and observances
- Christian Feast Day:
- Saint Joseph's Day (Roman Catholicism and Church of England) related observances:
- I was born on a sunny afternoon of March 19, St. Joseph's Day. My mom said, nasa cab pa lang siya halos lalabas na ako kaya when she got to the hospital I popped out immediately. Coincidentally, the OB Gyne who facilitated my mom's delivery was celebrating her birthday that day too and requested that I be named after her, her name is Josephine (named after St. Joseph). However, a monk friend of mom already had a name for me which is Janaki (Indian name for Goddess of wisdom, naks!). My mom made a promise to the doctor na lang that I will be nicknamed Josie. Kaya malayo ang nickname ko sa real name ko hehe.
My share for this week's GT: